Foods to avoid on the Daniel Fast
- All meat and animal products: Including but not limited to beef, lamb, pork, poultry, and fish.
- All dairy products: Including but not limited to milk, cheese, cream, butter, and eggs.
- All sweeteners: Including but not limited to sugar, raw sugar, honey, syrups, molasses, and cane juice.
- All leavened bread: including Ezekiel Bread (it contains yeast and honey) and baked goods.
- All refined and processed foods products: Including but not limited to artificial flavorings, food additives, chemicals, white rice, white flour, and foods that contain artificial preservatives.
- All deep-fried foods: Including but not limited to potato chips, French fries, and corn chips.
- All solid fats: Including shortening, margarine, lard and foods high in fat.
- Beverages: including but not limited to coffee, tea, herbal teas, carbonated beverages, energy drinks, and alcohol.
Foods to include during the Daniel Fast
- All Fruits: These can be fresh, frozen, dried, juiced or canned. Fruits include but are not limited to apples, apricots, bananas, blackberries, blueberries, boysenberries, cantaloupe, cherries, cranberries, figs, grapefruit, grapes, guava, honeydew melon, kiwi, lemons, limes, mangoes, nectarines, oranges, papayas, peaches, pears, pineapples, plums, prunes, raisins, raspberries, strawberries, tangelos, tangerines, watermelon
- All Vegetables: These can be fresh, frozen, dried, juiced or canned. Vegetables include but are not limited to artichokes, asparagus, beets, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, chili peppers, collard greens, corn, cucumbers, eggplant, garlic, ginger root, kale, leeks, lettuce, mushrooms, mustard greens, okra, onions, parsley, potatoes, radishes, rutabagas, scallions, spinach, sprouts, squashes, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, turnips, watercress, yams, zucchini, veggie burgers are an option if you are not allergic to soy.
- All whole grains: Including but not limited to whole wheat, brown rice, millet, quinoa, oats, barley, grits, whole-wheat pasta, whole-wheat tortillas, rice cakes, and popcorn.
- All Nuts and Seeds: Including but not limited to sunflower seeds, cashews, peanuts, and sesame. Also nut butter including peanut butter.
- All legumes: These can be canned or dried. Legumes include but are not limited to dried beans, pinto beans, split peas, lentils, black-eyed peas, kidney beans, black beans, cannellini beans, white beans.
- All quality oils: Including but not limited to olive, canola, grape seed, peanut, and sesame.
- Beverages: spring water, distilled water or other pure waters.
- Other: tofu, soy products, vinegar, seasonings, salt, herbs, and spices.
- Note: Unsweetened plant-based kinds of milk and juices can be used in recipes or on cereal, but the only beverage on the Daniel Fast is water.